Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hierarchy of Interest

Kimma is pretty reactive on leash.  She's getting better and better every day through tons of training and work, but I don't think she will ever be "bomb-proof."  I'm OK with that, as long as she is manageable and can walk reliably on a loose leash a good amount of the time.  It also helps when she doesn't freak out other people who are unfortunate enough to be walking past us with their dogs...

Pentti, on the other hand, is not nearly as reactive on leash, though not through my own doing - he came to us that way.  But even he has some issues.  The man can't walk with a loose leash to save his life.  We're working on it, but he is so sensitive that even turning around and going the other direction when he pulls can sometimes be enough to make him shut down.  But of course, in the show ring, he's fine.  Go figure!

Anyway, I think I've come up with out a pretty accurate hierarchy of interest for both of my crazies, based on their every day leash walking habits.  It doesn't necessarily mean that they bark at everything listed, but I can usually predict what they will react to and how bad the reaction will be.  The "items" listed go from least interesting to most interesting for each dog.

Kimma:
14.  People
13.  Kids 10 and under
12.  Strollers
11.  Females on bikes
10.  Males on bikes
9.  People running/jogging
8.  Skateboards/scooters
7.  Birds
6.  Dogs in a fenced in area (someone's yard, in the dog park when we're outside, etc.)5.  Ducks/geese
4.  Things blowing across the sidewalk/street (leaves, wrappers, etc.)
3.  People with dogs on leash
2.  Dogs off leash (usually where they aren't supposed to be, of course)
1.  Squirrels

Pentti:
7.  People of any age
6.  People running/jogging
5.  People on bikes/skateboards/scooters or with strollers
4.  Things blowing across the sidewalk/street
3.  People with dogs on leash/dogs in a fenced in area*
2.  Birds/ducks/geese
1.  OMG SQUIRRELS BARK AT THEM IN THE TREE MUST CATCH THEM ZOMG SQUIRRELSSSS!!!!!!  EFNBIH(*YWO(&E*Y@#IHio8y9q2h LIUHWIRY#*(*Y

So yes.  Squirrels are where it's at.  Finnish Spitz were bred to hunt birds/small game, so it doesn't really surprise me, but the look on their faces when we see a squirrel is insane.  I sometimes let them tree the squirrels, but after they wait or perform some other task first.

If I had the money/time, I would actually LOVE to get them trained to hunt.  In fact, someone at a dog show even asked Pentti's handler if he could purchase him to be a squirrel hunting dog!  Nope, guy.  Sorry.  I guess the only hunting these barkers are going to do will be done in my yard!

In other news, WE GET PENTTI BACK FROM WESTMINSTER ON FRIDAY OR SATURDAY!  I can't wait to have my little cuddle bug back!  And I'm sure Kimma will be happy to have her live-in playmate home again!

*Luckily with Pentti, we haven't come in contact with any off leash dogs.  But I'm sure he would not react too well given his history, especially if they tried to sniff him.  (He was attacked at a show trying to defend his handler, so he is not a fan of random dogs)

No comments:

Post a Comment