Friday, February 4, 2011

Maui Weaves Too! (Sorta)

Weaves... How cool is it to watch a Border Collie run through them?! Two feet on each side of each weave as they rhythmically speed through the poles, bending them as they race through each one and onto the next obstacle... Wonderful to watch! As my trusty co-writer explained in the previous blog, weaves are considered the most difficult of all agility obstacles to learn. And as Maui is definitely not a Border Collie, I was faced with quite a challenge. But my 12-month-old, 12-pound Toi Leo puppy and I where up to it!

In agility class, Maui had tried to weave using the Channel Method. He did make some progress. But I don't think he really understood why he was doing it. It didn't seem fun for him. He just didn't have the excitement he had after running the A-Frame or going over jumps. But when he did get it right, boy was he fast!  So like Katie, I decided on the 2x2 method. Maui is extremely food, or should I say cheese driven, so with a treat bag full of cheese and a clicker in hand we began 2x2 weave training.

I couldn't believe how quickly he picked up on it! He seemed to understand exactly what I wanted him to do. First 2 then 4 then 6 weaves. In that little lion beats the heart of a Border Collie! I sent the video Katie filmed of him weaving to his trainer. This was my dog and I had taught him to weave... 

Unfortunately we are now back to 2 weaves. After some great feedback from Lesley I realized in my rush to teach Maui to weave, I had removed his speed and his drive to run the poles. As you will see in the video, Maui will complete the poles and then look back to me for his click and treat.


So we begin again... This time armed with his trainers feedback, Susan Garrett's 2x2 training video, and of course cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment